Old Dorks Zeitgeist

Update Five

Still scattered

Reply
Oct 18, 2011Me, Random and 5 others:
Zeitgeist Five — Anthem (Zara)

Initiative:
Cazara 1d20+4: 19
Qarina 1d20+3: 19
Malkie 1d20+4: 11
Durakh-al 1d20: 11
Blake 1d20+4: 9

Terrain:
Ladders are DC0 Athletics checks to climb up or down. Basically, unless you have a special climb speed, they will cost you 4 squares of movement and a 2+ on a d20 check. A natural 1 indicates some mishap which just stops your movement action.
Stairs are difficult terrain going up and down.
Dark grey areas are floor grates. In every case except the two long ones in the center of the Gun and Berth decks, these grates can be opened like doors to allow either ladder access or the ability to just jump down to the next floor. Note that there are 4 grates on the top deck that lead to ladders (only marked on the gun deck)

Oct 10, 2011Me and Random:
Bad guys

Sokana 1d20+7: 23
Fire Sprites: 16
Ilton 1d20+7: 13
Engineers 1d20-1: 10
Oct 3, 2011

Me:
As the national anthem begins, Blake’s team is scattered around the RNS Coaltongue. Various plans are being put into motion and time seems to stand still. Every action suddenly seems vitally important.
Oct 3, 2011

Me:
We are in combat time, but not necessarily in combat. In order to keep things synced up, I will roll initiative and we will do turns in order.

We will maintain the “skill check is a standard action” rule that seemed to work so well recently in Tomb of Horrors.

I will make blips that correspond to the round number. Please, on your turn, make a private reply including me and anyone else whose character can see yours.
Oct 3, 2011

Christian:
L

Oct 3, 2011

Me:
Round 1

Oct 3, 2011
It Begins

The Duchess’s handmaiden takes one look at the two cops outside the door and she flies into a rage. She swings at Malkie with a glowing amber rod, knocking her back out of the doorway.
Oct 3, 2011

Me and Random:
Standard: Amber Rod
1d20+8>=16: Success (24) for 1d10+3: 4 damage and Malkie slides back out of the doorway 1 square
Move action: Fey Step through the floor grate, down to the berth deck and down that hall (out of sight of Durakh-al).
Action Point: Walk “east” 6 squares, (out of line of sight of Malkie)
Oct 3, 2011

Me:
Malkie to 18 (don’t mark cheatsheet)
She then shouts to the others, “Catch up when you can” before stepping through the grate in the floor as if it were a mere illusion. Malkie catches sight of the woman in the hallway one deck below, rushing for the center of the ship.
Oct 3, 2011

Me:
map
Oct 3, 2011

Me:
Ilton, the little halfling chef, is up next. He throws himself at Malkie.
Oct 3, 2011

Me and Random:
Move: adjacent to Malkie
Standard: Foot Poke
1d20+6>=16: Success (26)

Crit for 8 damage
minor: Chest Pounce on top of her (shfiting into her space and making it so that she cannot stand until she is not in his space).
Oct 3, 2011

Me:
Malkie prone at 10 hit points and being sat on. Her turn.

Oct 3, 2011

Erin Newburn:
“That,” Malkie smiles, “was exceptionally rude.”

In that moment, her face shifts. Her smile cracks far too wide, her glittering smile now terrible and pointed. Her eyes flood red. Her movements are so fast that they seem instantaneous. One moment she’s pinned to the floor. The next her teeth are in the other halfling’s throat. The chef’s eyes roll back in his head, and a gurgle escapes his throat.

Malkie tosses the limp body off like a blanket and stands, politely wiping her lips with her pinkie. “You made me drop my sandwiches.”

She then draws her pistol.
Oct 3, 2011

Erin Newburn and Random:
Standard: Taste of Life versus Ilton
1d20+5-2>=13: Success (20)
Triggering Blood Drinker
1d10+1d8+4+4: 22 damage
Malkie gains a healing surge and 6 temp HP

Move: stand

Minor: Draw pistol.
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
Enduring Soul: While you are bloodied, you gain regeneration equal to your Charisma modifier [+4].
Oct 3, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Malkie at 10+6 hp.
Ilton at 0 hp and empty
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
Malkie at 14+6
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
nice. guess he shoulda weakened you. :D
Oct 4, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Malkie intends to use Threat of Force to shoot either engineer if they enter a square adjacent to her.
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
k

Oct 4, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al wants to bolt for the top deck, yelling “Duchess overboard! Duchess overboard!” It appears, however, that there’s an engineer or two with wrenches still hanging about in the cabin, looking menacing, so instead he draws his long-handled axe and makes ready for a scuffle.

A faintly glowing rune appears on the axe as the huge Runepriest steps past Malkie and unleashes a terrible blow on one of the engineers, whose spilling blood looks a fair meal to the vampire.
Oct 4, 2011

Eric and Random:
Minor: draw Halberd
Move: to the doorway in front of Malkie
Standard: Rune of Destruction; Executioner’s Call on #1 Engineer 1d20+6>=13: Success (16)
Damage 1d10+6: 15
Oct 4, 2011

Eric:
Engineer #1 to 18 hp
Malkie has +4 power bonus to her next attack roll and +2 damage vs. Engineer #1 until EoDNT; Further, Malkie gains +1 (untyped) to attack rolls made against any enemy adjacent to Durakh-al
Oct 4, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Scott’s turn, but leaving the initiative as “Blake” to obscure the presence of badguys.
Oct 4, 2011

Eric:
Right on. Eat that Engineer ;)

Oct 4, 2011

Me:
The injured Engineer moves up and swings his wrench at Durakh-al, knocking him back out of the doorway.
Oct 4, 2011

Me and Random:
#1
move: “east” one square
Standard: Wrench Smash vs Durakh-al
1d20+6>=17: Success (24) 1d12+3: 11 damage and Durakh-al slides behind Malkie
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
Durakh-al to 18hp
The other Engineer then moves into the hall. Malkie shoots him, but he fights on through the pain, clubbin her in the face with his wrench, causing her to stagger back down the hall.
Oct 4, 2011

Me and Random:
#2
move “east” two squares
Oct 4, 2011

Me and Random:
Interrupt: Threat of Force
1d20+6>=13: Success (16) 3d6+4: 16
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
Malkie’s next Standard Action expended.
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
Engineer#2 to 17
Wrench Smash vs Malkie
1d20+6>=16: Success (18)
1d12+3: 5 damage and she is pushed behind Durakh-al
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
Malkie to 14+1 hp
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
and now it
s actually Blake’s turn. :)

Oct 4, 2011
Blake

Unaware of anything other than music and dignitaries, Blake’s actions likely won’t have an effect on what happens below, so I’ll plow on without her…
Oct 4, 2011

Christian:
Fair ’nuff. :)

Oct 6, 2011Me and Michael:
Poof! Qarina Rd 1

Almost before Qarina knows what’s happening, an Eladrin woman with a serious look on her face appears near the sickbay and rushes across the berth deck. Before Qarina can do anything, the woman waves an amber rod in her hand. Three tiny sparks fly from the tip of the rod, growing into little one-foot tall creatures made of fire. They grin with fiery teeth, menacing Qarina.
Oct 3, 2011

Me:
Sokana (Initiative 23)
move: fey step from elsewhere into the hallway by sick back
move: “east” 6 spaces
minor: conjure fire sprites.
Oct 3, 2011

Me and Random:
Fire Sprites Initiative 1d20+3: 16
Oct 3, 2011

Me:
Qarina is (actually) up now. :)

Oct 3, 2011

Me:
map
Oct 3, 2011

Michael:
How does that ramp work for line of sight, since there’s a sprite parked right on it? ie: If I’m next to it, can I hit one of the others above it within my reach?
Oct 3, 2011

Me:
ah. that’s a floor grate for ventilation. ladders on one end only lead up, so it says “up” there. :)
Oct 3, 2011

Michael:
Qarina blurs into motion almost before the sprites finish manifesting. Moving with preternatural speed, she pirouettes towards the fire creatures, the chain around her waist snaking out and wrapping itself around its neck. Just as quickly, it snaps the next of the second, and follows her movements towards yet another foe. She doesn’t pause to savor her victory—she knows the sorceress is far more dangerous.

Knowing she must alert the others, she calls towards the ladder, hoping her voice can be heard over the anthem. “Help! Fire!”
Oct 3, 2011

Michael and Random:

Move: 4 spaces, moving Nw-W-W-W
Standard: Whirling Rend 1d20+7>=16: Success (16) on the middle sprite
2d4+4: 7 Damage to middle sprite
2d4: 3 to top sprite

Free action: Whirling Lunge, when I reduce enemy to 0. Shift 2 and deal 2d4: 4 to enemy adj to me. Shift S-S and kill the bottom sprite.

End results: Sprites dead, and now I get to have my ass kicked by a level 3 chick. =)

Minor: Um, shout really forcefully and try to get some backup. =p Almost forgot!
Oct 3, 2011

Me:
nice. :)
Oct 3, 2011

Michael:
that was pretty fun!
Oct 3, 2011

Me:
yay strikers. :)
I love whirling barbarians.
Oct 3, 2011

Michael:
I love having minions to fight again. It’s been awhile. =)
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
Round 2

Oct 6, 2011Me and Michael:
Qarina Rd 2

The spellcasting woman yells at Qarina. Her eyes flash a bright lavender, revealing her Eladrin heritage. “You will not stop me, little pest! You will burn like the rest.” She pauses, a smirk on her face as though she just discovered her own rhyme.

She walks toward Qarina. With a wave of her amber rod, three more of the little fire creatures appear. This time, they are between Qarina and the magazine. “Pay no attention to them,” she says to Qarina. “Come here…”
Oct 4, 2011

Me and Random:
Move: “east” 6
minor: summon three more fire sprites
Standard: Beguiling Lure
1d20+8>=11: Success (14)
1d10+3: 9 psychic damage and Qarins is pulled adjacent and dazed (save ends)
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
Qarina to 19

Oct 4, 2011

Michael:
Qarina isn’t stupid. She flees, spinning away from the woman, though she stumbles from the effects of sorcery, only barely avoiding another attack. She regains her balance just in time to scramble up the nearest ladder, heading towards reinforcements.
Oct 4, 2011

Michael:
Walk 6…se-sw-w-w-nw-w prompting opportunity attack

result of that will matter, obv. If I’m still alive, I’ll be action pointing.
Oct 4, 2011

Me and Random:
oppo
1d20+8+2>=17: Failure (16)
Oct 4, 2011

Michael and Random:
Action point
Walk: nw, n, climb ladder
1d20: 17
and quite gracefully, at that.

Save vs effect 1d20>=10: Failure (9)
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
er… I think those are stairs you’re climbing. same difference, except I think you mounted them at the top. Looks like she’d be in about the same place either way, so we’ll leave her there.
Oct 4, 2011

Michael:
ok, so I suck at reading maps..lol.
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
no worries. I’ve just been staring at this thing for a couple of weeks trying to figure it out. :)
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
Qarina hears the sound of a scuffle coming from the aft hallway, near the observation room, though she can’t see around the huge steam pipe near the stairs.

Oct 4, 2011
Malkie and Durakh

I don’t think Qarina’s turn is going to affect your situation, so go ahead and take your turns while you’re both hanging about, if you want. :)
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
Apparently, I summoned Mike. carry on…
Oct 4, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Malkie falls back, shaking the shock from the pistol out of her arm.
Oct 4, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Standard: used for ToF

Move: to a place (no labels—two squares north of the hallway entrance)
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
like, between that ladder and that cannon?
Oct 4, 2011

Me:
ah, i see the map edit now. :)

Oct 5, 2011

Eric:
The other engineer has found himself within the arc of Durakh-al’s axe, but it passes over his head.
Oct 5, 2011

Eric and Random:
Standard: Word of Shielding, Rune of Protection 1d20+6>=13: Failure (10)
Minor: Rune of Mending on self – Spend a healing surge, Durakh-al has +1 defenses until EODNT
Oct 5, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al to 25 and +1 to all defenses. When adjacent to Durakh-al, Malkie gains resist 2/all.

Oct 5, 2011

Me:
The Engineers pull open the floor grating and drop down to the next deck. The sounds from below indicate they did not land very gracefully.
Oct 5, 2011

Me and Random:
Engineer2:
move: aft 1 square
minor: open the floor grating
standard: hop down 1d20-1>=15: Failure (9) 1d10: 7 falling damage and prone

Engineer1
move: hop down 1d20-1>=15: Failure (6) 1d10: 9 falling damage and prone
standard: stand up
Oct 5, 2011

Me:

  1. to 9hp
  2. to 10hp

Oct 5, 2011

Me:
Round 3

Oct 6, 2011Erin Newburn and me:
Malkie and Durakh-al, round 3

Malkie mutters a few uncivilized oaths and dashes for the grate in pursuit. “Find Cazara!” she hisses at her associate, before disappearing into the hole. She lands gracefully on her feet. Her hand is on the fallen engineer’s throat before he can blink, and she dashes his head against the floor.

“You should really stop resisting,” she says to the remaining insurgent.
Oct 6, 2011

Erin Newburn and Random:
Move: 2 starboard, 4 aft
hop down: 1d20+6>=15: Success (16)

Vampiric Slam on Engineer 2 1d20+5+2>=11: Failure (10)

Action Point: Vampiric Slam on Engineer 2 1d20+5+2>=11: Success (17)
1d10+4+4: 10 damage and down. Nonlethal, bitte.
Oct 6, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Malkie to 14+1
Engineer 2 to 0

Oct 6, 2011

Eric:
Having grown up in the mountains, Durakh-al is used to climbing and jumping. Boats are not mountains: they are much easier, and the huge runepriest descends with such grace that the remaining conscious engineer’s jaw gapes open as he literally craps himself.

This affords Durakh-al an excellent opportunity to hack the fool’s head right off.
Oct 6, 2011

Eric and Random:
Move: Diagonally SW 1 space to drop down
Athletics: 1d20+13>=15: Success (33)
Oct 6, 2011

Me:
reducing falling damage or hopping down are acrobatics checks, but a crit works either way. :)

Standard: Rune of Destruction – Word of Shielding on #1 Engineer
1d20+6>=13: Success (21)
1d10+6: 9 damage
Engineer #1 at 0 hp, but he’ll take 3 more if he hits or misses Malkie
Oct 6, 2011

Eric:
Engineer #1 at zero hp

Oct 6, 2011

Me:
After his head is removed, he stops resisting. Though, resisting what? Certainly not resisting arrest. No one identified themselves as a police officer, or asked him to surrender. In fact, he attacked you, so he wasn’t really, y’know, “resisting,” just… attacking. :P
Oct 6, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Malkie looks askance at the tall one. “Y’know, we really should be arresting them.” She looks up at the grate above her. The drained halfling’s arm dangles through the hole.

“Okay, one for one, I suppose. What say we call a mulligan and try to be professional with the rest of the miscreants?”
Oct 6, 2011

Eric:
“Hurh?” says Durakh-al.

This is not the way things are done in the mountains. In the mountains, when something attacks you, you hit it with your axe until it stops moving.

Most things stop moving when the head is removed. To arrest something is to stop it moving; ergo, Durakh-al did arrest the culprit.

“But I did arrest him,” he says.
Oct 6, 2011

Michael:
I’m confused on the timing, as no one seems to be batting an eye at Qarina’s entrance…should I repeat and come in after this? Was I before this?
Oct 6, 2011

Erin Newburn:
The double secret waves sorta weirded causality a little.
Oct 6, 2011

Michael:
Ok, so I think my coming around the mountain was the end of Round 3. So now we’re on 4.
Oct 6, 2011

Me:
yup. we’re on 4… and you have higher initiative than everyone in the area. your turn.
I think. So not my turn.
Oct 6, 2011

Me:
what happened was that you added the erinleenewburn@gmail account to the “Qarina comes around the corner” blip, which is apparently not the one Erin is using for Wave, so Erin didn’t see this until after Malkie’s turn. Qarina is top of the initiative of this group. She came around the corner before their turns came up, but apparently Malkie and Durakh-al were too focused on their targets. It is definitely Qarina’s round 4 right now.
Oct 6, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Yeah. Joined wave pre-transition, and Wave doesn’t let you change email accounts. Is very annoying.
Oct 6, 2011

Michael:
Ah—got it. I didn’t add anyone to the wave, though. Scott did..my screen even says so. =p I don’t have the erinleenewburn address in my contact list..only the working one.

So, I come around the corner, I yell at them, they run off, I go back into a private blip.
Oct 6, 2011

Me:
aha! all my fault, then! sigh… why do i put up with myself?
Oct 6, 2011

Michael:
Because all things considered, you make about 10000 fewer mistakes per year than the rest of us? =p

Oct 6, 2011Michael:
Qarina rd3

Qarina skirts around the huge steam pipe towards the aft hallway, surprised to see no foes in view.
Oct 5, 2011

Michael and Random:
Move 4; sw, w, w, w, say hi to my comrades.

Wasn’t sure if I should be inviting them into this, or if there was another blip I should be part of, soo..lemme know. =p

Save vs daze 1d20>=10: Failure (1)
Oct 5, 2011

Me:
We’ll add them here. :)

Oct 5, 2011

Me:
Qarina sees Malkie skulking near a cannon. Blood smears her face. Durakh-al’s long-handled ax has some blood on it as well, and a dead halfling in a chef’s uniform lies in the hallway.
Oct 6, 2011

Michael:
Qarina spares no time asking for explanation. “Come,” she tells Durakh-al and Malkie. “Eladrin, she try to blow up ship. Summon demons. I kill them all, but she is too strong, summon more.” She sways momentarily, putting out her hand as if to steady herself.

Unfortunately, as she speaks, no one seems to notice, and they run off back to the level she just came from
Oct 6, 2011

Me:
Round 4

Oct 7, 2011Christian:
I’ll assume there really isn’t anything for Blake to be doing but just for funsies because I’m bored out of my mind she’s going to start looking at guests to see if there’s anyone who appears as apprehensive as she feels – as if they’re waiting for something or someone. Perception +4.
Oct 7, 2011

Me:
Everyone seems just as oblivious as she does… :/
Oct 8, 2011

Me:
Blake idly wonders if she actually told htose motherfuckers to come get her when things went wrong or not. Oh well…
Oct 8, 2011

Christian:

And does nothing about it. Stupid fuckers have their mission she has hersn

Oct 6, 2011
Shudder

The grating beneath Malkie and Durakh-al’s feet is directly above the steam engine that drives the ship. There is a bright flash of what seems to be arcane energy and the engine shudders, nearly knocking both of them off their feet.
Oct 6, 2011

Me:
…and Qarina comes down the stairs in some fashion or another.
Oct 6, 2011

Michael:
Qarina lands nimbly in the stairwell, barely able to maintain her footing as the tremor rattles the ship.
Oct 7, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Malkie hoofs it to the ladders.
Oct 7, 2011

Erin Newburn:
GAH, SORRY. Passed out while navigating to Wave
Double Move: 12 squares to the fore, 1 to port.

Oct 8, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al follows suit.
Oct 8, 2011

Eric:
Double move to the steps

Oct 6, 2011
Qarina round 4
Oct 6, 2011

Me:
since they ran off without her, I’ll put you in your own blip again.
Oct 6, 2011

Michael:
I guess I go back downstairs. It’s closer.
Oct 6, 2011

Michael and Random:
Move e-e-e-e-n, hop down the stairs, donno if she needs to roll for that
Oct 6, 2011

Me:
if she doesn’t want to just pay double movement points because of the difficult terrain, she has two options:

“hop down” DC15 Acrobatics check to avoid falling damage on a fall of ten feet. full damage if she fails.
just reduce falling damage: roll !1d10 falling damage. Make an Acrobatics check. Reduce damage by half of the Acrobatics score.

In either case, she lands on her feet if the damage is zero, and is prone if not.
Oct 6, 2011

Michael and Random:
I like the reduce falling damage option, I think..let’s put my nimbility to use!
Athletics: 1d20+7: 10
Oct 6, 2011

Michael:
Yay, she lands on her feet.

save 1d20>10: Failure (4)
Oct 6, 2011

Michael:
yup, still dazed. At this rate I should just sit and wait for the boat to explode. =p

Oct 9, 2011

Me:
Round 5

Oct 10, 2011Michael:
round 5…

Since we’re all together now, I’m guessing I have the right people in the blip.
Oct 10, 2011

Michael and Random:
Qarina doesn’t acknowledge the others, simply glad they’re heeding her cry for help. She moves towards the engine room. The ladder, of course, isn’t necessary. She leaps forward, landing lightly on the balls of her feet and letting her momentum carry her to the south wall.

Move: 4 to get to north ladder, hop down ( 1d20+12: 27 acrobatics due to body equilibrium). land standing, continue to move 1 south, then 1 se.

Save vs daze 1d20>=10: Success (10)

Oct 10, 2011

Me:
As she lands on the deck below, Qarina sees the Eladrin woman who attacked her before. She is channeling energy at the closed door of the huge furnace that takes up most of the back half of the deck. The door of this brand-new furnace is corroded and rusted shut. She turns as Qarina lands, yelling something in Elven to her companions, out of Qarina’s line of sight.

From around the massive structure forward of Qarina’s position, three more fire sprites descend on her, interposing themselves between the barbarian and the Eladrin. They claw at Qarina and try to hold her back.
Oct 10, 2011

Me and Random:
Sprite1
move adjacent to Qarina
standard: Scrabbling Claws 1d20+6>=17: Success (21) 4 dmg and grabbed

Sprite 2
ditto
1d20+6>=17: Success (22) 4 dmg and grabbed

Sprite 3
just move
Oct 10, 2011

Me:
Qarina to 11 and grabbed (escape DC 12)
map updated

Oct 10, 2011

Erin Newburn and me:
Malkie follows her down. Mid-drop, her foot catches on a rung of the ladder, sending her face-first into the bottom deck. For the second time in a year, she feels her nose snap. Even through the tears welling up in her eyes, she sees the ambush she’s just fallen into.

“Get down here, stretch!” she shouts up the ladder. Then, she screws her eyes shut and quickly whistles out the first few notes of a short dock ditty, lacing it with the few strands of magic she actually bothered to study. In a whirl, the bottom deck blurs from her sight and reforms into the lower-mid deck, right where Durakh-al was standing.
Oct 10, 2011

Erin Newburn and Random:
Move: Hop down to the ladder square
1d20+6>=15: Failure (14)
Falling damage 1d10: 10 and Malkie lands prone

Standard: Ready action – When Durakh-al moves into line of effect, Malkie will use Docker’s Jank on him.
Oct 10, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Docker’s Jank:
Encounter Arcane, Teleportation
Standard Action Close Burst 5
Effect: You and a willing ally within the burst teleport and switch locations. Your ally may then use a 1st-level at-will power that can be performed as a standard action, with a +2 power bonus to his or her attack rolls.

Oct 10, 2011

Me:
carry on.
Oct 10, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Malkie to 5hp and prone.

Oct 11, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al moves down the ladder, then to the NW corner of the pile of rats.
Oct 11, 2011

Eric and Random:
Double Move
1d20>=2: Success (10)

Not sure Docker’s Jank is going to do anything here, although my map has often been completely incorrect in terms of the location of creatures and whatnot.
Oct 11, 2011

Eric:
Example: late last night, when I was too tired to do anything, there were lots of flaming dudes around and it was my turn; this morning, it remains my turn and there are no flaming dudes around.

Not sure what this means. Not sure if my move is legal. Not sure if this is some game aspect that I’m not supposed to see or a completely buggy map (several times in this fight other characters have not been where they are purported to be, etc.).
Oct 11, 2011

Me:
aviary is being weird and also mike can’t read maps. ;)
Oct 11, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Yeah, I’m confused now. Last I saw, Qarina was surrounded by sprites, within halberd-reach of Malkie’s position. The idea was to teleport Durakh down the ladder for a bonus attack, and the injured vampire up the ladder to regenerate in peace a bit.
Oct 11, 2011

Me:
let me look at it.

Qarina should still be surrounded by sprites, and irrespective of that, Docker’s Jank will go off because it’s a readied action
Oct 11, 2011

Me:
probably it was caused by multiple people having the map open, as the correct map is now three updates old, with incorrect maps saved over the top of it.
Oct 11, 2011

Me:
A save at 12:24am PDT reversed all the changes I made around 9 hours before that.
Oct 11, 2011

Me:
map now reset to the beginning of Durakh-al’s turn. please check when you’re saving that you’re not destroying others’ edits.

Durakh should re-do his turn.
Oct 11, 2011

Eric:
OK, cool – I wanted to double-check, cause shit dint seem right.

Oct 11, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al moves to the ledge above the far ladder. . .

<gazoink>

He and Malkie switch places in an instant, so the big runepriest has a swing at one of the fire demons, then another. The first dissapates in a puff of smoke, but this smoke gets in Durakh-al’s eyes and he misses with the second swing.
Oct 11, 2011

Eric and Random:
Move: top o’ the ladder
Triggered action: jank time… Word of Shielding Rune of Destruction on the northernmost sprite.
1d20+6+2>=16: Success (22)
1d10+6: 8 damage and the Sprite takes 3 damage if it hits or misses Durakh-al or an adjacent ally before EoDNT… but of course he is now a dead minion…

Standard: Word of Shielding on the middle Sprite
1d20+6>=16: Failure (7)
Oct 11, 2011

Eric:
Northern Sprite bites the dust.

Rune of Destruction: When Durakh-al is in this rune state, allies gain +1 to attack rolls against enemies adjacent to him.
Oct 11, 2011

Eric:
I am a fan of the Jank!
Oct 11, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Yeah, seemed like a good idea for the fragile striker with 2 healing surges and a sun-allergy to have a “tag out” option.

Oct 10, 2011
Blake!

Blake notices the ship’s builder, Geoffrey Massarde, is looking around as if he feels like something is amiss, but can’t put his finger on it. The band plays on.
Oct 10, 2011

Christian:
Blake swallows the instinct to drag the man from his chair. She remembers her position and what she has to do to keep it. At least in public. Instead she walks over to him and places a hand on his shoulder and softly murmurs, “Mr. Massarde – Sergeant Blake Arrington. You look… concerned. Is there something I can help you with or something I should know..?”
Oct 10, 2011

Me:
The tiefling looks over his shoulder at her. “Pleasure, Sergeant. Something does not feel right, you know? I feel like there is a — I don’t know. It is so hard to hear over this music, but yet I feel like I heard something. I suppose its just nerves. No matter. Do not worry yourself.”
Oct 10, 2011

Christian:
Blake grits her teeth trying to portray the patience she doesn’t feel, “Surely you can put a finger on it… an experienced seaman like yourself. There must be sounds you are used to hearing that suddenly stopped… some difference..?”
Oct 11, 2011

Me:
“No, it’s not that. Hmm.. I can’t leave right in the middle of the Risuri national anthem. Could you do me a favor and check with the bridge to make sure everything is okay?”
Oct 11, 2011

Christian:
Blake nods curtly and goes to check with the bridge staff.
Oct 11, 2011

Me:
I’ll give her a double move and see how far she gets. :)
Oct 11, 2011

Me:
alright; the map is weird there. I’m reading it as the middle area is the size of the tower and then there’s like a one-square balcony off of the upper floor, which is not really mapped.

Anyway, a double move will get her into the tower and up the stairs, where she will see the three-man bridge staff watching the ceremony from the balcony, rather than manning their posts. She hears a high-pitched whine, like a steam whistle, though none of the bridge staff seem to notice.
Oct 11, 2011

Christian:
When she gets a move:
Oct 11, 2011

Christian:
Blake claps her hands loudly to get their attention, unleashing her anger with relief, “Don’t you men have ‘things’ to do – and what is that sound?? Sounds important, yes..? No..? Posts! Move it!”

Blake puts on her best ‘officer’ tone and body language.

(Intimidate +4)
Oct 11, 2011

Me:
Round 6

Oct 11, 2011
Engine Room
Oct 11, 2011

Me:
The eladrin woman turns from the steam furnace, her work on the door apparently complete. “You’re far too late,” she says. She steps away from the door and, with a wave of her hand, a wall of fire erupts from the floor, blocking access to the furnace door. “You should be running,” she says with a grin.
Oct 11, 2011

Me:
Sokana
move: “ne” one square
standard: Searing Barrier in front of the furnace door. (5 fire damage to anyone who moves into or starts their turn in the tiny wall o fire)

Oct 11, 2011

Michael:
The fire sprite can’t hold Qarina, as she slides from beneath its arcane grasp. Her chain lashes out towards it, but it matches her movements, the chain whistling through empty space.
Oct 11, 2011

Michael and Random:
Move: Escape grab, acro vs reflex
1d20+12>=16: Success (26)
Standard: Whirling Rend 1d20+7>=16: Failure (12) on north sprite

Oct 12, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Malkie blinks the tears out of her eyes and crawls to her feet. She winces as the bridge of her nose starts to realign itself.

“No my dear, you should be the one fleeing!” she shouts. Or, rather, she tries to shout that. What comes out is “Doh, by deah, you shood be de obe fleeidg—oh, fuggit.”

Malkie’s mumbling is quickly replaced by a terrible, unearthly shriek, as the halfling explodes.

What pours down the breach in her place is terrible and unearthly. A black, roiling, gibbering mass floods the deck, an unhinged swirl of terrible shapes—loping canine forms, leathery wings, scrabbling claws, and rows upon rows of jagged, uneven teeth. The fire spirtes are consumed in an instant, and the eladrin is overcome by raking wounds from all sides.

Mere seconds later, the nightmare vanishes, dissolving into little more than a clinging black mist. Malkie is nowhere to be seen.

Oct 12, 2011

Erin Newburn and Random:
Start of turn, regen 4
Move: Stand.
I think I have LOE from here though, yes?
Oct 12, 2011

Me:
yes, else the teleport would not have worked.

Standard: Swarm of Shadows down the hole
vs Sokana 1d20+5>=14: Success (25) CRIT
vs Sprite-to-port 1d20+5>=10: Success (24)
vs Sprite-to-starboard 1d20+5>=10: Success (22)
26 damage to Sokana
Enough damage to both sprites
Malkie teleports to just starboard of Durakh and is invisible til the end of her next turn
Malkie cannot give up combat advantage until the start of her next turn. (Holy Symbol Expertise—need to start noting this.)

Oct 12, 2011

Me:
she’s still prone from her fall, remember; teleporting doesn’t change that.
Oct 12, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Right. Forgot I never actually stood up. My bad.
Oct 12, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Malkie @ 9
Dunno if Sokana’s been damaged yet. If not, she’s @ 58
Oct 12, 2011

Michael:
I haven’t damaged her, as the sprites kept me from her. Nice move and flavor. =D

Oct 12, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al moves between the witch-woman and his colleagues. He takes a big swing with his axe, which ignites in blinding flame, striking the witch hard and scorching her eyes.
Oct 12, 2011

Eric and Random:
Move: 1 square SW
Standard: Rune of Endless Fire 1d20+6>=17: Success (22)
2d10+6+2: 14 Fire and Radiant Damage and Sokana is blinded until EoDNT

Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls, your attacks deal fire and radiant damage instead of their normal damage types, and the number of hit points and temporary hit points granted by your powers increases by 4.
Oct 12, 2011

Eric:
Sokana to 44 and blinded until EoDNT.

Rune of Destruction still in effect, so allies gain +1 to attack rolls vs enemies adjacent to Durakh-al.

Oct 12, 2011

Me:
A voice seems to come out of the wall, sounding tinny and distorted. “Hello, engine room? Is everything under control down there?”

Oct 11, 2011
Bridge
Oct 11, 2011

Christian:
Can we play poker or Magic instead..?
Oct 11, 2011

Me:
sure
Oct 11, 2011

Christian:
+1
Oct 12, 2011

Me:
Blake claps her hands loudly to get their attention, unleashing her anger with relief, “Don’t you men have ‘things’ to do – and what is that sound?? Sounds important, yes..? No..? Posts! Move it!”

Blake puts on her best ‘officer’ tone and body language.

(Intimidate +4)
Oct 12, 2011

Me:
The men look surprised and then almost seem to jump back through the door. “Uh, sorry. Sorry!” they call out.

One of them notices the steam whistle. “Shit! We’re overheating!” He rushes over to a speaking tube. “Hello, engine room? Is everything under control down there?”

He receives no response.
Oct 12, 2011

Christian:
Blake pinches the bridge of her nose and squeezes her eyes closed. “And I’m sure there’s nothing you can do about that here is there?”

Oct 11, 2011
17 rounds to go…
Oct 12, 2011

Me:
Round 7

Oct 12, 2011
Engine Room

map

start of round HP:
Sokana: 44
Malkie: 9
Qarina: 11
Durakh-al: 25

Oct 12, 2011

Me:
The Eladrin woman fumbles her way toward the ladder as a whirlwind begins to whip around her. She cackles, saying, “Don’t you wish you could fly out of here?” before not flying anywhere. The smirk disappears from her face. Somewhere, an invisible halfling falls over.
Oct 12, 2011

Me and Random:
Sokana
shift “east” one square
Standard: Otherwind Stride (close burst conveniently ignores the fact that she can’t see shit, and especially can’t see invisible Malkie)
vs Malkie 1d20+6>=11: Success (21) for 3d6+3: 15 damage
vs Durakh-al 1d20+6>=14: Failure (12)
Oct 12, 2011

Me:
Her teleport fails, however, thanks to the blindness.
Oct 12, 2011

Erin Newburn and Random:
Interrupt: Second Chance
1d20+6>=11: Success (18)
Worth a shot.
Oct 12, 2011

Me:
Malkie to -6

Oct 12, 2011

Michael:
Qarina attacks.
Oct 12, 2011

Michael and Random:
Standard: Swift Panther Rage on Sokana 1d20+7+1>=17: Failure (16)
Oct 13, 2011

Me:
+2 for combat advantage against a blinded target.
Oct 13, 2011

Michael:
oh! Awesome! <3>=10: Failure (3)

Oct 13, 2011

Eric:
The huge runepriest slides past the witch-woman, cutting off her route of escape. He twice heaves the axe at her, striking with a heavy blow of flame and light.
Oct 13, 2011

Eric and Random:
Move: shift NW
Standard: Word of Shielding, Rune of Protection
1d20+6+2>=17: Failure (15)

Minor: Rune of Mending on Malkie, who spends a surge and regains 9hp

Action Point
Standard: Word of Shielding, Rune of Protection
1d20+6+2>=17: Success (20)
1d10+6+2: 16 fire and radiant damage

Rune of Protection: The first time the target hits or misses you or an ally adjacent to you with an attack before the end of your next turn, the target of that attack gains 7 temporary hit points
Oct 13, 2011

Eric:
Malkie to 9hp
Malkie, Durakh-al, and Qarina have +1 to all defenses
Rune of Protection: any ally adjacent to Durakh-al has resist 2/all
The first time Sokana hits or misses you or an ally adjacent to you with an attack before the end of your next turn, the target of that attack gains 7 temporary hit points.

Note to allies: get adjacent to the big guy.

Sokana to 9 hp

Oct 12, 2011
16 Rounds to go…

Oct 13, 2011Christian:

…Blake pinches the bridge of her nose and squeezes her eyes closed. “And I’m sure there’s nothing you can do about that here is there?”

Assuming there isn’t she’ll ask which one has the expertise to fix it down there, drag him along at a dead sprint to below decks while threatening the others to stay at their posts. She’ll interrogate the guy on the way down to see if the process for un-overheating the boiler is a simple one that she can do or assist him with.
Oct 13, 2011

Christian:
I also moved the turn along because I figured I’m not a round away from getting anywhere at this point… apologies if I’m making an ass out of u and me.
Oct 13, 2011

Me:
ass
Oct 13, 2011

Me:
He says the engineers would know best, but if they’re not answering, he can have a look at it. The first thing to do, he recalls from his emergency training, is to open the emergency vents, then shovel out as many of the firegems as you can reach. Other than that, he’s not sure.
Oct 13, 2011

Me:
Blake and her charge scramble down the stairwell as quickly as possibly, arriving at the berth deck, which has a sizable opening in the floor. Two ladders lead down into the engine room, and a grate overlooks a large structure used for holding the the ship’s supply of firegems.

At the bottom of the ladders, Blake sees three of her team caught in melee with the duchess’s handmaiden. Malkie is down in a pool of her own dark blood, but she seems to be stirring.
Oct 13, 2011

Me:
Round 8

Oct 13, 2011
Engine Room

Start of turn:
Solkana: 9
Malkie: 9
Qarina: 11
Durakh-al: 25
Oct 13, 2011

Me:
Solkana sends a burst of air into Malkie. Black blood spurts dramatically into the air as the halfling’s eyes roll back in her head. Then the Eladrin tries to escape.
Oct 13, 2011

Me and Random:
Standard: Amber Rod
1d20+8+2>=17: Success (23) 1d10+3: 12 damage
move: to the ladder and away, if these oppos don’t take her down.
Oct 13, 2011

Me and Random:
Qarina oppo
1d20+7+2>=17: Success (27) 2d4+4: 11

Durakh-al oppo
1d20+6+2>=17: Success (27) 1d10+6: 14
Oct 13, 2011

Me:
she goes to -16 and doesn’t make it to the ladder.

Oct 13, 2011

Me:
Malkie to -3
Oct 13, 2011

Me:
to the main thread!

Oct 13, 2011
Blake
Oct 13, 2011

Me:
Blake sees the handmaiden send a burst of air at Malkie, knocking the halfling to the floor and sending her blood spurting dramatically into the air. Malkie is not moving. Durakh-al and Qarina rip into the handmaiden with their own weapons, and she collapses to the floor.
Oct 13, 2011

Me:
to the main thread!

Oct 13, 2011
15…
Oct 13, 2011

Me:
Blake arrives at the top of the ladders with her crewman in tow just as Malkie and the duchess’s handmaiden both collapse to the floor again. In the engine room, the steam furnace is rapidly overheating. The furnace door is rusted shut and a persistent wall of fire stands in front of it, blocking access. Cazara is still missing.
Oct 13, 2011

Me:
still in combat time, even though there are no apparent combatants. As usual, a skill check will take up your standard action.

Oct 13, 2011

Michael:
Qarina leaps over Sokana’s fallen form and reaches for the door. , She wraps both hands around the handle and attempting to break it free, trying to ignore the flames licking at her flesh, well aware this is her only chance. The end is coming, after all. Perhaps this is hers.
Oct 13, 2011

Michael:
Move: in front of door, take 5 damage from fire
Standard: Athletics check to open door at +8 … I think that’ll be rolled by Scott privately

Oct 13, 2011

Me:
The furnace door makes a creaking, popping sound as if it’s just about to budge, but Qarina can’t get it to actually open.
Oct 13, 2011

Michael:
Darn it!
Oct 13, 2011

Christian:
Language please.
Oct 13, 2011

Michael:
Shoot, I’m sorry.
Oct 14, 2011

Eric:
Shut the fuck up, bitch. It’s too late for your shitmouth apologies, you dumb fucking asshat.
Oct 14, 2011

Christian:
+1

Oct 13, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Malke sputters through a mouthful of blood. About half of it’s hers.
Oct 13, 2011

Erin Newburn and Random:
Death save 1d20>=10: Failure (3)
Two down.
Oct 13, 2011

Michael:
as a reminder, the first time one of my allies dies due to a failed death save, they stabilize instead
Oct 14, 2011

Eric:
Oh, hey, cool – helpful.

Oct 14, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al sees Qarina, and he immediately lends his muscle to the cause.
Oct 14, 2011

Eric:
Move: over to the door, taking 5 damage from the fire.
Standard: Athletics at +13 to open the door
Oct 14, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al at 20 hp and straining to rip the door off its hinges (or just open it).

Oct 14, 2011

Me:
Durakh fails to get a good grip before pulling, and his hands slip free from the door.
Oct 14, 2011

Christian and Random:
Blake shoves the crewman down the ladder and comes down after him (1d20: 6).

“Is that the emergency vent?” She demands of him on the way down.

Reaching the deck she points a bony finger at Malkie bleeding out on the floor, “Why is she the only one following orders down here? Die or leave the dying – these are simple instructions!”
Oct 14, 2011

Me:
The crewman points out the emergency vents on either side of the steam furnace.
Oct 14, 2011

Me:
two tiny S’s on the map.

Standard action to open or close.
Oct 14, 2011

Christian:
It’s a double move for me to get anywhere near that, yes..? <off>
Oct 14, 2011

Me:
<looking>
Oct 14, 2011

Christian:
Found the map… still don’t know where the hell I am. :)
Oct 14, 2011

Me:
yes, you can take a second move action to get to one or the other (port or starboard) and Crewman Newman will go to the other one.
Oct 14, 2011

Christian:
Minor to open..? Please..? :)
Oct 14, 2011

Me:
forgot. let me check the a’venture.
Oct 14, 2011

Christian:
k!
Oct 14, 2011

Christian:
Also, +1 for ‘Crewman Newman’. Can we keep him..? :)
Oct 14, 2011

Me:
“two move actions”
Oct 14, 2011

Christian:
… to open the vent..?
Oct 14, 2011

Me:
yeah. sorry. :)
Oct 14, 2011

Eric:
Which will be perfect, since Durakh-al and Qarina are meat-headedly trying to bash down the main door – yay!
Oct 14, 2011

Christian:
That will be sooooooo personally satisfying to Blake. :)

Oct 14, 2011

Christian:
Blake puts a hand on the Crewman’s shoulder and shoves him in the direction of the starboard emergency vent.

“Go!” She yells as she sprints toward the port vent.
Oct 14, 2011

Me:
The crewman does as he’s ordered.
Oct 14, 2011

Me:
Round 9 starts here.

Oct 14, 2011
14

Oct 14, 2011

Christian:
Round 9 – starts where I say it starts.
Oct 15, 2011

Eric:
Rocks fall on the old lady: she dies.
Oct 14, 2011

Michael:
Qarina gives it one more try. After she succeeds or fails, the heat is too much. She skips out of the flames.
Oct 14, 2011

Michael:
Take 5
Standard: Athletics !1d20+8
Move: two backwards towards Malkie

Oct 15, 2011

Me:
Qarina still can’t get the door to budge.
Oct 14, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Gurgle gurgle gurgle.
Oct 14, 2011

Erin Newburn and Random:
Death save 1d20>=10: Success (16)

Oct 15, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al wonders what power sustains the wall of fire; no matter, again he tugs at the door.
Oct 15, 2011

Eric:
take 5 to 15
Standard: pull on that door
Athletics +13

Oct 15, 2011

Me:
Durakh-al succeeds in tugging the door off of its rusted hinges, discarding it on the floor nearby. A wave of hot air blast past him. Looking into the furnace, he sees Sokana’s amber rod glowing white hot, shooting sparks into the great pile of red-hot firegems. The rod is about six feet away from the door. Reaching it would probably involve physically entering the furnace itself.

Some of the firegems spill out onto the floor. The furnace is clearly overloaded with them, in addition to being overheated by the sparking rod.
Oct 15, 2011

Christian:
Blake opens her emergency vent as she looks around for a shovel that must certainly be nearby.
Oct 15, 2011

Me:
The vents that Blake and the crewman open are release valves for pressure building in the steam-generating portion of the engine. The vents open, and hot steam blasts out into the engine room. Blake narrowly avoids being scalded, but the room is becoming uncomfortably hot.
Oct 15, 2011

Me:
Steam exhaust:

The entire engine room forward of the firewall (i.e. the place you are all in) is now filled with hot steam. Everyone has concealment, and anyone who starts their turn in the engine room takes 1 fire damage. (unless you’re inside the wall of fire or the furnace, in which case you take only the highest fire damage you would be subject to).
Oct 15, 2011

Michael:
fuck me.

Oct 15, 2011

Me:
Blake easily spots a shovel near the firegem bin.
Oct 15, 2011

Me:
Round 10

Oct 15, 2011
23 rounds to go
Oct 15, 2011

Me:
Unless something awesome happens, the steam will overcome Qarina at the start of her turn
Oct 15, 2011

Me:
also note that even if Malkie stabilizes, any new damage will unstabilize her, putting her back on death saves.

Oct 15, 2011

Michael:
Qarina is overcome because of the sudden blast of steam.
Oct 15, 2011

Michael and Random:
Take 1 hp damage, go to zero.

Death save 1d20>=10: Failure (8)

Oct 15, 2011

Me:
Malkie will gurgle some more here
Oct 15, 2011

Me and Random:
take 1 damage, then
Death Dave 1d20>=10: Failure (5)
Oct 15, 2011

Me:
ding!
Oct 15, 2011

Me:
Malkie will stabilize thanks to Qarina’s theme power. She will become unstable at the start of her next turn if nothing changes between now and then.

Oct 16, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al moves over to the south ladder and picks up Malkie, tossing her over his shoulder.
Oct 16, 2011

Eric and Random:
Take 5 damage
Move to south ladder 1d20>=2: Success (12)
Grab Malkie and pick her up Athletics +13
Oct 16, 2011

Me:
Helpless allies are treated as objects; you just pick them up and move them.

Minor Action: picking up an item in your space or in an unoccupied square within reach.
Oct 16, 2011

Me:
so Durakh can carry her up to the non-hazardous deck above if he wishes, which we’ll assume he does.
Oct 17, 2011

Eric:
Good assumption!

Oct 16, 2011

Christian:
Blake swears as the steam burns her skin; she wipes the condensation from her forehead with her sleeve as she grabs the shovel and runs to the opening of the furnace.

“That’s not helping,” she shoots at Durakh-al, “Newman! How many of these things do you think we need to get out of there?”
Oct 16, 2011

Christian:
Take 1hp damage
Oct 16, 2011

Me:
of note: the only accessable place for shoveling out firegems is the door that Durakh-al just “opened.” Standing in fron of that involves being inside a wall of fire.
Oct 16, 2011

Christian:
Cool. Newman can do it. :) Hurm.
Oct 16, 2011

Christian:
I’m assuming that this wall of flame is magic of some sort..? It’s like a wall of flame and not something being generated by the furnace itself..?
Oct 16, 2011

Me:
Correct. It is Sokana’s Searing Wall power, which has a duration of “until end of encounter” which will be around Round 58 or so…
Oct 16, 2011

Me:
Newman estmates that it would take a couple of man-minutes of shoveling to get the furnace under control (20 rounds). After another look, he thinks that the exploding magic rod would probably be a good thing to get out of there, too.
Oct 16, 2011

Christian:
Blake leans heavily on the shovel as the hopelessness of the situation drains her of the energy that was keeping her going.

“Is there anything down here to control this fire?” She asks the crewman through a fit of coughs brought on by the steam burning at that back of her throat.
Oct 16, 2011

Me:
Newman looks around, trying to figure that out himself.
Oct 16, 2011

Christian:
Round 11.

Oct 16, 2011
22 rounds to go
Oct 16, 2011

Me:
Qarina is having a bad day.
Oct 16, 2011

Me and Random:
goes to -1 hp
makes a Death Save 1d20>=10: Success (14)
Oct 16, 2011

Me:
don’t forget, it’s a Standard-Action DC10 Heal check to induce Second Wind. (DC15 to stabilize the dying)

Oct 16, 2011

Me:
Malkie is having a bad day, but it’s looking up.
Oct 16, 2011

Me:
Unconscious, but stable.
Oct 16, 2011

Me:
don’t forget, it’s a Standard-Action DC10 Heal check to induce Second Wind

Oct 17, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al leans over the vampire, trying to resuscitate her. Then he runs off, yelling for the engineer.
Oct 17, 2011

Eric and Random:
Standard: healing check 1d20+2>=10: Success (16)
Move: up the steps
Free: “engineer? oh engineer?”
Oct 17, 2011

Me:
The unconscious one?
Oct 17, 2011

Eric:
shit
Oct 17, 2011

Me:
though there may be some qualified individuals at the party on the top deck.

Oct 17, 2011

Christian:
Blake growls and barks at Newman, “Where’s the talky thing for the Bridge..?”
Oct 17, 2011

Me:
Newman points to a metal tube on the wall.

She yells into the tube, “Bridge – this is the furnace room or whatever. We are massively overheating and there is no crew down here. You need to send down as many people as possible – there’s fire and steam so don’t send anyone who’s afraid of hard work!”

She waits for an acknowledgement before climbing out of the room herself.
Oct 17, 2011

Christian:
Takes 1 hp damage

Wonders if the DM will remind her where the duchess or whatever she was was going or if I have to go through the blips myself. :)
Oct 17, 2011

Me:
the aft observation room on the gun deck
Oct 17, 2011

Me:
The voice on the other end of the speaking tube responds. “Roger that. I’ll get the emergency crew.”

After a few seconds, the sounds of the national anthem being played on the upper deck of the ship stop mid-song.
Oct 17, 2011

Me:
Round 12

Oct 17, 2011
21 to go…

Oct 17, 2011

Michael:
Qarina..keeps making death saves.
Oct 17, 2011

Michael and Random:
Take 1 hp to -2
1d20>=10: Failure (2)

Oct 18, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Malkie sputters, and her eyes flutter open. The first thing she’s aware of is the slightly nauseating sensation of being coated in blood.1.

“No, Dad,” she murmurs, “I dun wanna eat any more. ’m full already.”

A sharp pain shoots through her as her ribcage starts to re-knit, clearing the fog from her brain. She stumbles to her feet, now quite aware of the warmth radiating up from beneath her. Heat. Fire. The screech of machinery. This is not her place.

She makes for the ladders. Either she’ll find someone who can deal with this situation, or a lifeboat off of this screaming deathtrap. Her consultation fee isn’t nearly hefty enough to die for. She vaguely recalls being briefed on a head engineer or the like—one with a cold fetish of some sort.
Oct 18, 2011

Erin Newburn:
Start of turn, regen 4
Move: Stand
Move: hot on Durakh’s heels
Oct 18, 2011

Kat:
Somewhere, a sad cat-person perks up a bit, though she doesn’t know why. :3

sentiment may seem strange to the non-haemophagic—vampires like blood, don’t they? But vampires don’t necessarily enjoy being drenched in the stuff, for the same reason you might not want to be covered in roast beef.

Oct 18, 2011

Christian:
I might want to be covered in roast beef. :\
Oct 18, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al keeps running up the steps, yelling and directing traffic.
Oct 18, 2011

Eric:
and hoping that someone might give Qarina a leg up.

Oct 18, 2011

Christian:
Blake heads toward the aft observation room at top speed.
Oct 18, 2011

Christian:
1hp dmg
Oct 18, 2011

Me:
Crewman Newman, trained to leave none behind, does his best to see to Qarina’s wounds.
Oct 18, 2011

Me and Random:
Heal: 1d20>=10: Failure (7)

Oct 18, 2011

Me:
Durakh-al and Malkie run into shipbuilder Geoffrey Massarde and three engineers on the stairs, heading down to the engine room at a sprint. They dash past the two constables with barely a word.

Upon reaching the engine room, the tiefling wades into the wall of fire without concern, shoveling out firegems as quickly as he can. One of the engineers in the shipbuilder’s wake abandons his duties to try to help out the dying Qarina.
Oct 18, 2011

Me and Random:
Heal 1d20>=10: Success (18)
Second Wind for Qarina
Qarina comes out of her stupor, greeted by gawky face of the engineer she met earlier, Fitzcairn. He looks relieved to see her stirring.
Oct 18, 2011

Michael:
She gives him a fierce hug, no doubt exciting him to no end. Later that evening, he dreams of steam engines and lithe barbarians.
Oct 18, 2011

Me:
Blake arrives at the the aft observation room, finding a dead halfling chef in the halway outside, his throat savagely torn as if by a wild beast. Inside the observation suite, Blake finds the aft windows wide open and a scattering of candles and other ritual paraphernalia littering the room.
Oct 18, 2011

Me:
Massarde gets the situation under control eventually.
Oct 18, 2011

Me:
The NPCs can take it from here.

Massarde’s tiefling racial resist 5 fire will allow him to shovel out the 20 rounds worth of firegems necessary to prevent the explosion.

The exploding wand will either be removed by someone who fetches one of the fire wards from the doors of the magazine (which grants resist 20 fire) or by a Mage Hand courtesy of Harkover Lee.

Comments

skotothalamos

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.