Old Dorks Zeitgeist

Update Eleven

Lighthouse

Zeitgeist Eleven: Lighthouse! (Blake!

Initiatives:
Wizard: 22
Cazara 1d20+4: 20
Fey Drake
Malkie 1d20+4: 19 Delaying
Durakh-al 1d20+0: 16
Blake 1d20+4: 15
Investigator 1d20+3: 13
Soldier 1d20+3: 9
Patrolmen 1d20+3: 5

Terrain
Stairs are difficult terrain in both directions (tight space and all)
Walls have 4-foot-high stone crenelations where marked, providing superior cover and preventing forced movement through those edges,

Dec 13, 2011Scott and Random:

Wizard 1d20+4: 22
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
wasn’t gonna reveal him til he moved, but hey…
Dec 8, 2011

Scott:
From atop the harbor wall, Cazara checks out the area ahead, with particular attention on the lighthouse. A boat is docked near the lighthouse, and a loading ramp leads up the inside of the wall. Cazara spots three or four soldiers moving crates around on the boat. Another soldier stands at the turnaround point of the ramp, smoking a pipe. On the wall above, three soldiers stand at the ready, each under a separate lamp. The lighthouse occupies the north end of the wall, with its tower to one side and a single-story “ground” floor extending to the point where the sea wall and the sea gate meet up.

From their position on the harbor wall, the group could travel along the wall, though one tower, and along the sea wall (entering the map at K/L/M 31). This would probably require some bluffing or combat to bypass any guards between here and there. Alternately, the group could drop back down off the harbor wall and stealthily approach via a less-well-guarded ground route (entering the map at F/G 31). Less-obvious options are up to the group to explore and/or discover.
Dec 9, 2011

Scott:
note that the map represents and area several hundred yards away from where the group currently is, and the current problem is sorting out how to cover the intervening ground.

Dec 10, 2011

Eric:
“I say we swim for the boat,” suggests Durakh-al, “underwater.”

“I can easily climb the side of it with a rope, and we can make our way into the lighthouse from there, dispatching any resistance as we come across it.”
Dec 10, 2011

Eric:
Water breathing time.

Dec 10, 2011

Me:
Blake makes a face.

“The boat is where the heaviest resistance might come from, and I’m sure we’d have a hard time explaining why we’re sneaking aboard” she says, pointing to the figures on deck. “Maybe if we came ashore farther down we could try to bluff our way by the two guards and avoid loud fighting. My thought at swimming was more directed toward avoiding unexepected guards… But I don’t know – there doesn’t seem to be a good option.”
Dec 10, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al looks at the sky . . .
Dec 10, 2011

Eric:
and wishes he had time for the Skyseer Vision power. Alas, he does not.

Dec 11, 2011

Kat:
“Your call, boss,” says Cazara. “I can’t think of a way that doesn’t involve running into guards for one reason or another, but anything that can minimize our exposure seems good.”
Dec 11, 2011

Me:
“Alright,” Blake says simply. “Who lies easily..? The damn, bitter truth comes far too easily to my lips.”
Dec 11, 2011

Me:
Bluff skill anyone..?
Dec 11, 2011

Kat:
Seems like Malkie is our best bet. Vamps are CHA-based, right..?
Dec 11, 2011

Kat:
Durakh-al should play backup with that Insight. Might get some bonuses.
Dec 11, 2011

Eric:
Yeah, someone else lie, and D-a can watch for the reaction.
Dec 12, 2011

Erin:
Malkie could sell magical-swamp-cooler-analogues in magical-Norway-analogue. She’s in.
Dec 12, 2011

Erin:
Could you refresh my memory, Scott? Do these soldiers look Danoran or Risuri?
Dec 12, 2011

Scott:
Risuri: the Duchess took her Risuri rebels and stormed a Danoran fort (this one).

Dec 12, 2011

Eric:
“So . . . we’re swimming?” asks Durakh-al.
Dec 12, 2011

Me:
Blake nods curtly as she checks to ensure that her equipment is secure, “Everyone follow Malkie’s lead and stay alert.”

Dec 12, 2011Erin:
Trying to think of a good lie to tell the guards
given that we’re planning (as I understand it) to swim to just south of the map. So we’re going to need to justify being sopping wet. Also, we’re a rather ragtag bunch, so I don’t think they’ll buy “We’re just soldiers, doo-dee-doo.”

So here’s what I’m thinking. Malkie will go ashore just south of the map. She’ll salute and claim to be one of the Duchess’s infliltration specialists (we’ve seen that she’s employed at least one halfling assassin). She’s been checking around the wall for a possible breach point, and she’s found something wrong with the sea-gate: It’s not closing all the way near the bottom, and someone might try to breach the fortress through it. She needs to look at the controls to see if something’s jammed. If it works, she might be able to get close to the controls and start kludging thievery checks to get the gate open. If not, well, she’ll hopefully be distracting enough to let everyone else get into position.

Meanwhile, maybe Drukh-al can get beneath the boat and possibly use the passwall scroll on the hull.
Dec 12, 2011

Eric:
lol – me likey
Dec 12, 2011

Kat:
Nice.
Blake can go ashore further south and stealth her way into a support position. If things go pear-shaped, she can hopefully headcap either of the two with unique portraits. You’ll also be the one who needs to notify Drukh-al to fire off the passwall spell if/when Malkie fucks up the bluff check or gets the gate open.

Cazara: Once we cast the water-breathing ritual, perhaps you can jump back over the wall and try to approach the lighthouse from the sea. You can scale it the easiet, I think. That puts you in position to fire off the pyrotechnics scroll, and/or get into position for some boot-to-head justice from above.

With some luck, we’ll be able to complete the mission before the guards realize what we’re doing, and we can hightail it before more guards arrive.

It’s that, or Malkie, Cazara, and Drukh-al can pretend to be camp-prostitues sent by the Duchess…
Dec 12, 2011

Kat:
This looks good. Splitting the party, of course, comes with risks. Do we think we’ll need a signal in place in case one of us gets caught?
Dec 12, 2011

Erin:
Since getting caught will likely raise an alarm anyways, I imagine “OH FUCK OH FUCK GET OVER HERE!” will suffice. But we can totally do the whole “hoot like an owl” thing or whatnot.
Dec 12, 2011

Kat:
Yeah. Really more worried about getting caught in a position that won’t be easy for everyone to get to even with a signal – for example, Cazara gets shot at when she’s 80 feet up and loses her grip.

The Pyrotechnics ritual doesn’t specify how high up the fireworks go off. It does say that they’ll be visible in a 10-mile radius at night. Seems like Cazara could camp outside the wall near the sea-gate and set off the ritual from closer to sea-level.
Dec 12, 2011

Me:
I think if Blake is on shore and able to observe Malkie and close enough to pop a cap in someone’s ass if necessary AND close enough that she can dive beneath the boat to signal D we’re covered… or at least everyone has enough reserve to only need a Qarina-level of time before assistance arrives.
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
Didn’t say you had to dive beneath the boat to signal D. Throwing a rock in the water or something could probably work.
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Somehow I don’t think we can even convince Scotty of that one…
Dec 13, 2011

Eric:
Might be that D-a can’t activate the scroll underwater anyhow – if he must he’ll surface and nail it at the waterline
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
I’d thought of that but figured if you don’t mention it maybe he won’t think of it. :) Good plan B, though.
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Incidentally, I was also thinking that inspecting the boats would also be an acceptable lie.. barnacle duty is sufficiently low that it might inspire contempt and a lack of criticism from the guards.
Dec 13, 2011

Kat:
Seems like we’re all cool with this plan. Shall we get started, then?
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Please.
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
So maybe not too under-the-radary reporting to a guard as though he’s a commanding officer… maybe we’ll get all rolly-lucky. :)
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Nice save. :)
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Now might be a good time for something like a boat sinking distraction.. I’m certain this thing knows Malkie is lying about the gate and all…
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
Yeah. Time to do the murders, then? Or maybe I could just stick my pistol against her kidneys and see if that doesn’t get us somewhere.
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
I’m kinda hoping that if the boat starts sinking peoples will get distracted – you can run away with a valid excuse and maybe we can sneak into the lighthouse while everyone is like “Holy shit our boat is sinking!” We don’t have to do it pretty.
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Just play up the panic, eh? :)
Dec 13, 2011

Kat:
Maybe Blake should start sneaking toward the control room during the current distraction.
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Should I push it then..? I’ve been sitting here looking at the -5… pondering.
Dec 13, 2011

Kat:
Your call. shrug
Dec 13, 2011

Kat:
Or the water dude will be unhelpful enough that the bluff can continue. :)
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
^This.
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
If it leaves you can re-bluff maybe..? “Fucking thing missed the obvious…”
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Llrgh… though if she’s gonna get interrogated I think I’m back to “Holy shit our boat is sinking!”
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Nice, Erin. I bought it. :)
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
I love it when a plan comes together. :)
Dec 13, 2011

Eric:
Time to sink the boat?
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
I’d say we can wait on it for the time being… things seem to be working out oddly enough…
Dec 14, 2011

Kat:
Jam the controls, Malkie! :O
Dec 14, 2011

Erin:
That was the plan.
Dec 14, 2011

Kat:
w00t
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
The group has a quick discussion of possible plans of attack. They then activate the scroll of water breathing and make for the water, heading towards a point just south of the aviary map the guard position near the harbor gate.
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
Waiting to see if we encounter resistance underwater. We’re not going ashore yet.
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
where are you going?
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
Malkie is headed for, like, a theoretical E35 or thereabouts. Durakh-al is headed under the boat, the others are still figuring out their exact coordinates I think?
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
ah… aviary map. i see. thought the strikethrough was wave telling me there’d been an edit.
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
k. how’re we getting off the wall? rope, climbing, jumping, flying?
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
You and your infernal details!

Lemme look at the rules for having a “jump speed,” but I imagine the rope?
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
i don’t think “jump speed” is actually in the rules. problems with third-party adventures. I just assume you can vertically or horizontally jump your speed. Falling damage is still a problem if you’re going downward, though.
Dec 13, 2011

Erin and Kat:
K. Rope to get down the harbor wall for Malkie, Durakh, and Blake. Cazara’s splitting off. Malkie would like an aid another from Durakh steadying the rope, if he’d be so kind.
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
k. In the interest of speed, I have done the skill checks in my private wave. all is well. you may place yourselves on the map in the water anywhere you like
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
Malkie placed. Put her in E31 just for convenience of actually being on the map. Bed now. :)
Dec 13, 2011

Kat:
Done.
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Likewise.

Dec 13, 2011

Kat:
Cazara breaks off from the group after the water-breathing ritual is completed. She moves in a crouch along the top of the inner wall, heading for the outer. When she can see open water, she tucks the pyrotechnics scroll into her belt and scuttles down the outer wall. She stays low, careful not to draw attention in the dark water. She just needs to make it to the lighthouse.

And then, she waits.
Dec 13, 2011

Kat:
stealth and perception and athletics and acrobatics. good times.

Dec 13, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al secures the passwall scroll and swims underwater to a spot beneath the barnacle-encrusted hull of the boat.
Dec 13, 2011

Eric:
then realizes that Blake’s icon is Constance from Firefly
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
=)
Dec 13, 2011

Kat:
:D
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
:)
Dec 13, 2011

Kat:
(:
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
=D
Dec 13, 2011

Kat:
;o)
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
>;]
Dec 13, 2011

Eric:
8-()

Ole Googly
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
_

Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
Everyone is in place. The time has come to set a plan in motion…
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
Taking a deep not-actually-a-breath, Malkie bursts from the harbor, spitting up a mouthful of water. “Damnit damnit damnit,” she swears, conspicuously loudly, as she runs towards the guard position. When the guards notice her, she snaps into a tired-looking salute towards the highest looking mucky-muck in the gaggle. “Sue Donham from the infiltration specialist team, reporting. We’ve just completed the perimiter examination, and we’ve got a major problem.”

“We were ordered to examine and secure the fortress wall for any possible breaches or hidden entryways, and we found one.” She coughs up a bit more water. “Underwater. The harbor gate isn’t closing all the way near the bottom. Think it’s a mechanical failure. I need to take a look at the controls.”
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
Bluff +9

Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
The investigator on the boat meets Malkie. Her Shale City Police uniform reads “Murray.”

“Evening, Sue. I’m Siobhan. What’s going on? Why on earth are you swimming around down there? It’d be fucking nice if one hand knew what the other was doing around here. I’m supposed to be searching these ships.” She waves a hand toward another half dozen boats nearby. “You’d think they’d let me know that someone was going to be swimming around right under our feet. What if we’d opened that gate right on your head?”

“I am so having a word with them about this. Hang on a sec, will ya?”

Siobhan disembarks from the boat and stalks north along the shore. Once she’s clear of the boat, she begins shouting at the water in Primordial:

“Hey, He-Who-Watches-In-The-Deep! Get your ass up here!”

The water begins to churn in the area behind the boat. Durakh-al can feel a sudden current in the water trying to pull him in that direction, but he is able to hold his position.
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
“Crap,” mutters Blake from the shadows.
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Stealth +10 to sneak closer to the action.
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
she may move up two spaces per stealth check. or 6 spaces per stealth check at -5 (or 8 spaces per stealth check at -10 if she wants to run for some reason)
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
I’ll go to G25 at -5… hopefully.
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
no one seems to pay her any attention
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Yay me!
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
The water forms itself into something vaguely man-shaped and about ten feet tall. The water nearby spashes against the dock and the back of the boat. The splashing and slapping of the water forms words in Primordial:

“You bellowed, She-Who-Bellows-In-The-Night?”

“Cute,” replies Officer Murray. “This one,” she points at Malkie, “says we’ve got an inspection going on down there and the sea gate is stuck. Why wasn’t I informed?”

“Only one land-dweller in my harbor now. I am also unaware of your ‘inspection.’ The Machine-That-Restricts-The-Passage-Of-Sea-Dwellers is continuing to fulfill its function of restricting the passage of sea dwellers. Don’t summon me again unless you have something of import.”

The water splashes back down into a more normal shape for a liquid.

Siobhan turns to Malkie. “Big Blue-n-Surly says the gate’s fine. And, uh, no one seems to know about your team. Who do you report to?”
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
Can I assumeand/or make a check to know the investigation turned up the name “Ilton” or whatever on the dead halfling assassin on the steamship, or was that a piece of player knowledge that never really had a chance to filter down to character knowledge?
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
we can safely assume that Ilton’s identity became character knowledge.

Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
Malkie sighs and rubs her temples. “Oh, for—Seriously? They haven’t told anyone anything? They couldn’t make more of a travesty out of this if they tried, am I right?”

“I’m with the Duchess’s ‘infiltration specialists.’ You know…” Malkie drags her thumb across her throat and makes a squelching sound in the back of her throat. “Specialists? I previously reported to an operative named Ilton before he was…compromised two weeks ago. My new commanding officer was appointed this weekend, Mur…something. And, well, I’m not at liberty to provide personal opinions on the chain of command, Miss Murray.”

“As for your associate…I’m not sure what his problem is. We went in through a dry access hatch in the wall, but I’m not sure how he missed me swimming to shore here. I know I work rather quietly, but I’m impressing myself tonight. And there’s definitely something wrong with that gate, I’m afraid. Not to mean disrespect to the elemental, but my job is finding discreet little entrances. He, meanwhile, doesn’t seem quite familiar with the word gate.”
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
Bluff +9 again. If nothing else, might as well buy time for Blake and Cazara to make their moves.
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
Also, might as well take the opportunity to annoy Xian with little edits :D
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Mission accomplished. :)
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBOu55pJwFo

Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
Officer Murray narrows her eyes at Malkie, seemingly confused by Malkie’s attitude toward the water elemental. “You do understand how that language works, right?”

Rolling her eyes and mumbling under her breath about “fucking mercenaries,” she waves Malkie away. “Do what you have to do.”
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
Malkie salutes and scurries up the ramp to look for the control doodad.
Dec 13, 2011

Erin:
Unless someone else stops her, she moves up the ramp and into what looks like the control room (F5)

Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
Malkie enters the gate control room, making it past the four guards between her and it.

Dec 13, 2011Scott:

assuming Blake is keeping an eye on Malkie’s progress, she sees two guards exit from the door Malkie entered, and then proceed to take a smoke break by the door.
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Blake will continue to creep 2 at a time.
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
She can get pretty much anywhere you want up to about 5 squares away from switchback dude. After that, the ramp is too narrow with too much light and no cover.
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Can she climb at that point..?
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
she can try :)
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Might as well – things are going too smoothly as it is. :)
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
DC10; I rolled 1d20+7: 11

She can get to the top of the ramp and should be okay if she stays more than 5 squares away form each light, and also is adjacent to an obstruction (outer wall or barrel)
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Can she climb to the topish of the next level and shimmy across while staying out of sight of both guards..?
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
like…. shimmy across to the outer wall?
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Like climb up to the top of the wall but not over the top, and then climb sideways past the top guard…
So I’m climbing under the top guard but over the bottom..?
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
insanity.

yes, but it will require an athletics check every three squares she travels. let me know where you want to be. Malkie’s on the verge of putting us into initiative…
Dec 13, 2011

Me:
Erm… nevermind.. I still can’t come up outside of top guy’s sight range… I’ll try to bluff by the guy. :\ Emphasizing “Hey, wet like the last lady… same deal.”
Dec 13, 2011

Scott:
Just as Blake is trying to explain herself to a guard, the Sea Gate begins to open… loudly.
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
which causes initiative to be rolled and stats to be copy-pasted…

Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
A second-story window flies open. A man leans out of the window and shouts at the soldiers. “Get back in there, you idiots! She’s opening the gate!” He then disappears back inside the lighthouse.
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
Wizard
minor: open window
free: berate guards
double-move: up to the top of the lighthouse, out of everyone’s line of sight.

Dec 14, 2011

Kat:
Huddled in a corner on the roof of the control room, Cazara continues to whisper the words on the scroll.
Dec 14, 2011

Kat:
Stealthing. Cazara is prone and possibly squeezing as flat as she can against the roof.

Dec 14, 2011

Erin:
Malkie pops out from her hiding place for a moment to try and jam the controls—unscrew the big lever, wedge something in the way, whatever she can puzzle out. Then she ducks back behind the machine.
Dec 14, 2011

Erin:
Standard: Thievery +6 to jam the lever.

Move: Stealth +9 to hide
Dec 14, 2011

Erin:
If someone breaks down the locked door or comes down the lighthouse stairs, Malkie intends to use Threat of Force to shoot them.

Dec 14, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al, still under the boat, uses the passwall scroll on the bottom of its hull.
Dec 14, 2011

Eric:
Swim out from under the sinking ship, I suppose: athletics +13
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
Success. He can start his next turn anywhere within 3 of his current position.

Dec 14, 2011

Me:
Blake surges silently forward toward the patrolman as he looks up at the lighthouse. Her blade carves a deep trench across the man’s throat and he collapses into a bloody pile as she moves by him, sticking to the shadows.
Dec 14, 2011

Me and Random:
Move to M15

Gloaming Cut on Patrolman: 1d20+2+8>=13: Success (18)
Patrolman Dead
Blake shifts 2 (M13) and makes a stealth check to remain hidden: 1d20+2+10: 18

Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
As the ship begins to rapidly sink, Siobhan finally figures it out and calls out to her patrol. “Saboteurs! They’ve taken the gatehouse! You two: run and alert the watch! You: with me!” She dashes up the ramp, collecting soldiers as she goes.
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
Investigator
minor: light bulb
Free: yell at people
double-move: run up the ramp to J15
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
Soldier:
minor: draw Glaive
double-move: to J21
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
Patrolmen
oh jebus.
a bunch of them move and get weapons out and stuff

Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
One of the patrolmen near the door to the control room swears and tries to open it. "Blood and tits!
Dec 14, 2011

Kat:
<3>=15: Success (22)
Cazara will land prone due to crawling, but first!
Standard: Five Storms
Doofus #1 (H7) 1d20+5>=14: Success (18)
Doofus#2 (I7) 1d20+5>=14: Success (14)

Dec 14, 2011

Erin:
Malkie keeps playing amateur mechanic on the controls.
Dec 14, 2011

Erin:
Standard: Thievery +6
Move: Stealth +10
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
She’s pulled enough levers off that she can’t tell which ones to mess up any more. She’s not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing.
Dec 14, 2011

Erin:
If a non-minion enemy approaches Malkie, she’ll hit them with Threat of Force. No sense wasting a bullet on 1hp.

Dec 14, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al climbs out of the water, looks around, rapidly assesses the situation, and heads up to confront the important looking woman.

He draws his great axe and moves up the ramp with deadly purpose, catching the woman by the leg and pulling her toward him.

Also, a wall appears out of nowhere – ten feet tall, between Blake and a few of her enemies.
Dec 14, 2011

Eric and Random:
Double Move: Climb out of the water at F19 and double move to H13
Minor: draw Halberd

Action Point

Wall of Urim thing at K-M16

Word of Binding on the investigator (Rune of Destruction)
1d20+7>=15: Success (17)

4 damage (read the power, duh) and I guess the 6 I rolled for Challenge Seeking Weapon does apply, so 10?

Heavenly Halberdier: Slide Investigator to I14

Next Ally to attack Investigator does +2 damage
All Allies get +1 to attack rolls against any enemy adjacent to Durakh-al

Dec 14, 2011

Eric:
Investigator takes 10 damage, to 20/30 hp; Immobilized until EoDNT or until she isn’t adjacent to Durakh-al; next attack does +2 damage against her if it hits; All Allies gain +1 to attack rolls against any enemy adjacent to him until his rune state changes.

And, y’know, there’s a wall

Dec 14, 2011

Me:
Blake moves quickly but silently to the wall with well practiced steps. She looks around the obstacle, spots the soldier and then ducks back behind cover. She aims both guns at the investigator’s head and pulls the triggers. She watches with satisfaction as the loud woman’s head explodes.
Dec 14, 2011

Me, Eric and Random:
Move: K15

The Nanna With Two Guns Is God:
Target 1 – Investigator: 1d20+10+2+1>=15: Success (18)
Target 2 – Investigator: 1d20+10+2>=17: Success (20)

Investigator Damage: 3d6+2d8+2+1: 18
Investigator: 3d6+1: 16
Dead.

Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
The soldier up the ramp turns and runs at Durakh-al, swinging wildly with his Glaive. The big Goliath parries the undisciplinced attack. Two crossbow bolts strike true, but they simply bounce off his skin. One can almost feel a tangible sense of panic amongst the soldiers.
Dec 14, 2011

Scott and Random:
Soldier:
Move: a couple spaces
Standard: Charge Durakh-al, ending in I15
1d20+6+1>=18: Failure (16)
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
Patrolman Shuffle
dude at the Lighthouse will
Move: go inside, move to the control room door
minor: open it
Move: go to the control panel
Dec 14, 2011

Scott and Random:
Dude adjacent to Durakh-al will shift SE and then use Crossbow Skirmish to move behind the Soldier and shoot at Durakh-al
1d20+8>=18: Success (23)

Dude at the top of the ramp will take cover in some barrels and also shoot at Durakh-al
1d20+8>=18: Success (24)
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
Both of them will be mightily impressed at how he takes no damage from that.
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
Dudes at the edge of the map will skedaddle.
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
Sea Gate 20% open
Dec 14, 2011

Me:
How about I concentrate on combat and just take your word for it..?
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
How about I track stuff for myself and you ignore it? :P
Dec 14, 2011

Me:
No love for the homophone jokes, I see.
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
dam it!

Dec 14, 2011

Scott and Kat:
From the top of the lighthouse, a clear voice cries out, beseeching the sky for help. A bolt of lightning strikes Blake where she stands.

The wizard is surprised to get recoil off his spell. His eyebrows are singed.
Dec 14, 2011

Scott and Random:
Wizard
minor: sustain Mage Hand
Move: R8
Standard: Personal Thundercloud at Blake
1d20+5>=11: Success (25) CRIT for 13 damage and ongoing 2 lightning (save ends*)
Dec 14, 2011

Kat:
Free Action: Hands of Retribution
Wizard takes 4 fire and radiant damage.

Dec 14, 2011

Kat:
“Looks like you’ve got everything out here under control,” Cazara calls to Blake. She stands and makes her way into the lighthouse.

“I hope you don’t need me to rescue you, Malkie dearest,” she says as she passes the doorway to the control room on her way to the stairs.
Dec 14, 2011

Kat and Random:
Can’t do much with this turn. Might as well move toward the wizard. :3
Move: Stand
Move: Jump up the stairs w/Crane’s wings 1d20>1: Success (4)
Run to N6
Minor: Needle the vampire

Dec 15, 2011

Erin:
The startled patrolman looks to the shouting monk, then back at the control panel. Over the edge of the machine, he catches sight of a pair of piercing red eyes. His mind suddenly goes white, his ears ring with a high-pitched whine at the edge of hearing. He touches his lip, and his fingers come back coated with blood—the last thing he sees before he collapses to the ground.

Malkie clicks her tongue before bounding up the stairs. “Save me from boredom, dear Cazara. These toys break far too easily.” She pushes the door shut.
Dec 14, 2011

Erin:
Does the patrolman seem able to see Malkie hiding behind the controls?
Dec 14, 2011

Kat:
He does after Cazara called to her. >:3
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
you should throw a dead patrolman at her or something.
Dec 14, 2011

Kat:
:D
Dec 14, 2011

Scott:
he has been ignoring her so far
Dec 15, 2011

Erin and Random:
Standard: Dark Beckoning vs Patrolman’s will
Combat advantage (hidden), guard has cover
1d20+8+2-2>=12: Success (24)
Patrolman goes pop. Malkie cannot grant combat advantage til the start of her next turn. (Holy Symbol Expertise)

Move: jump up the stairs to I4.
Minor: shut door.

Dec 14, 2011

Kat:
Go shut that door, Elmer.
Dec 14, 2011

Kat:
:D I had a mental image of Malkie as Elmer Fudd and it made me really happy.
Dec 15, 2011

Me:
Speaking of doors – is L8 open or closed..?
Dec 15, 2011

Kat:
Pretty sure dead patrol dude left that one open. Otherwise Cazara’s turn is nullified. :(
Dec 15, 2011

Me:
Huzzah.
Dec 15, 2011

Scott:
tis open

Dec 15, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al sees the lightning hit Blake, and he is sure this is the final conflict. He moves with purpose to the soldier and swings his long-handled axe, which alights in flame. It ripples as the axe cuts an arc through the air and lands home.
Dec 15, 2011

Eric and Random:
Move: to I14
Standard: Rune of Endless Fire on Soldier
1d20+7>=17: Success (17)

2d10+4+1+2: 19 fire and radiant damage and soldier is blinded until EoDNT

Challenge Seeking Weapon 1d6: 2 extra damage

Effect: Durakh-al gains +2 to damage for the rest of the encounter, his powers do Fire and Radiant damage along with their normal types, and his healing powers do +4 healing and temp hp

Minor: Rune of Mending (Rune of Destruction) on Blake, who spends a surge and heals 9 hp; she also gets +2 damage until EoDNT.
Dec 15, 2011

Eric:
Soldier to 12/33 hp, blinded (grants CA), and bloodied; Blake spends a surge and regains 9hp, has +2 damage until EoDNT, +1 to hit soldier.

Dec 15, 2011

Me:
Blake tries to make eye contact with Durakh-al as she makes the decision to make for the lighthouse. She sprints hard across the stone wall and slams the door behind her.
Dec 15, 2011

Me:
Double-Move to L8
Minor: Close Door
Dec 15, 2011

Scott:
did someone grant a save vs the thundercloud?
Dec 15, 2011

Me and Random:
1d20: 19

2dmg

Dec 15, 2011

Scott:
“Get him!” shouts the blinded soldier, swinging wildly with his glaive. The patrolmen, having seen that this giant man who calls down the fire of heaven is immune to their weapons, fuck off as fast as they can.
Dec 15, 2011

Scott and Random:
Standard: Get Him!
1d20+6-5>=18: Failure (17) miss: Get Him! recharges
Move: shift southeast a square

Dec 15, 2011

Scott:
Patrolmen
Double Move: fuck right off (both double-run off-map)

Dec 15, 2011

Scott:
The wizard is undeterred by the invulnerable giant. A silver dagger flies down from the top of the lighthouse, borne upon an unnatural wind. It, too, is deflected away from Durakh-al.
Dec 15, 2011

Scott and Random:
Gale Dagger
1d20+5>=15: Failure (12)
Minor: sustain Bell Hand
Move: to t9
Dec 15, 2011

Eric:
Rar! Don’t fuck with the old religion, motherfuckers.

Dec 15, 2011

Kat:
Cazara continues her trek up the tower. That damn lightningbolt guy is in here somewhere.

Just when she thinks she’s got the wizard, she bumps into something invisible.
Dec 15, 2011

Kat:
Move: R12
Standard: Charge up the stairs to S8.
Dec 15, 2011

Scott:
blink!
There is something invisible in S8 already. Cazara may charge it instead if she wishes (AC 15, -5 for being invisible)
Dec 15, 2011

Kat and Random:
Already got the claws ready. Might as well.
1d20+5-5+1>=15: Failure (14)

Dec 15, 2011

Scott:
A small colorful lizard hisses at Cazara as it appears. Fins flare out around its neck as it spits in her face.
Dec 15, 2011

Scott and Random:
Blinvisible Lizard
Standard: Poison Fangs
1d20+6+2>=16: Success (19) 1d6+4: 6 damage. Cazara has ongoing 5 poison damage and is weakend (save ends both)

Dec 16, 2011

Erin:
Malkie holds the fort.
Dec 16, 2011

Erin:
Delaying until someone makes for the control room or until Malkie gets bored.

Dec 16, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al, huge Goliath, sweat glistening on his mottled skin, swings his long-handled axe at the hapless soldier.
Dec 16, 2011

Eric and Random:
Standard: Rune of Destruction – Word of Shielding
1d20+7+2>=17: Failure (15)

Move to I15 (if someone would be so kind – having map troubles.
Dec 16, 2011

Kat:
Done

Dec 16, 2011

Me:
Blake continues her dash to the top of the lighthouse. She is too winded to even complain that she is too old for this shit.
Dec 16, 2011

Scott:
The soldier swings at Durakh-al again, and again the Goliath seems invincible. The soldier backpedals up the ramp.
Dec 16, 2011

Scott and Random:
Standard: bop Durakh-al with Get Him!
1d20+6>=18: Failure (11)
move: shift to J17

Dec 16, 2011

Scott:
The Wizard deals with a more immediate threat, sending a magical dagger at Cazara, but she dodges it easily.
Dec 16, 2011

Scott and Random:
minor: ring that bell
STandard: Gale Dagger at Cazara
1d20+5>=15: Failure (10)

Dec 16, 2011

Kat:
Cazara kicks the stupid lizard out of the damn way. And sidles up to the Wizard.

“Hi,” she says.
Dec 16, 2011

Kat and Random:
Start of turn: Take just enough damage to not be bloodied. Gr.

Standard: Crane’s Wings Attack 1d20+5>=12: Success (25)
Um. Yeah. Crit, then. 14 damage+5
19/2: 9 damage, and the lizard gets pushed to T8

Move: To S8

Save 1d20: 13

Dec 16, 2011

Scott:
The little drake hisses at Cazara and knocks her over with its tail.
Dec 16, 2011

Scott and Random:
Drake
Standard: Tail Trip Cazara
1d20+4>=15: Success (17) 1d6: 2 damage and Cazara is knocked prone
Dec 16, 2011

Scott:
Cazara to 11

Dec 16, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al takes another swing, oh yeah. This time the lead soldier’s head goes rolling, right down the ramp. Durakh-al wastes no time, climbing up the wall to his left.
Dec 16, 2011

Eric and Random:
Standard: Rune of Destruction – Word of Shielding
1d20+7>=17: Success (20)

1d10+4+1+2: 14 fire and radiant damage and…

the first time the Soldier hits or misses Durakh-al or an ally adjacent to him, he takes 3 damage.

But, it doesn’t matter b/c he’s dead as dead.

Minor: put away Halberd

Move: Climb to K15 1d20+13: 19

Dec 16, 2011

Eric:
Soldja ded. Can I get a map assist to K15, please
Dec 16, 2011

Kat:
np

Dec 16, 2011

Me:
Blake continues her climb, stopping halfway up the final staircase to reload her guns.
Dec 16, 2011

Me:
Move to stairs

Standard: Reload

Minor: Catch breath

Dec 16, 2011

Scott:
The perturbed wizard cracks Cazara on the skull with his wooden orb. She remains fallen over.
Dec 16, 2011

Scott and Random:
Wizzy
Standard: Orb Conk
1d20+6+2>=16: Success (19) for 1d6+4: 8 damage (Cazara to 3)
Move: shift to U8

Dec 16, 2011

Kat:
Cazara feels woozy; she’s really not sure what just happened. Could it be that this is a TIME WIZARD?

You know what TIME it is, TIME WIZARD? It’s KITTY TIME. RAaaaaaaar!!!1

Once Cazara is done throwing a fit on the floor, she stands up. She sees Blake ascending the stairs.

“Hi, boss! Wanna help me kill these fuckers?”
Dec 16, 2011

Kat:
Minor: Razorclaw Shifting (Speed+2, AC&REF+1)
Standard: Second Wind (HP+6, Defs+2)
Move: Stand, I guess.

Dec 16, 2011

Scott:
The time wizard hears the sound of drums.
Dec 16, 2011

Scott:
The drake? He is leaving.
Dec 16, 2011

Scott:
Standard: Invisiblate!
Move: skitter about, making a Stealth check and not provoking oppos.

Dec 16, 2011

Kat:
“Oh. Watch out for the invisible lizard, boss.”
Dec 16, 2011

Me:
“Well of course there’s an invisible lizard,” Blake grumbles in between deep breaths.
Dec 16, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al is running to help.
Dec 16, 2011

Eric:
Double move run to M7 (can I get some map help, please?)
Dec 16, 2011

Me:
Got it.

Dec 16, 2011

Me:
Blake finally makes the top of the lighthouse. She huffs and puffs as she levels her guns on the wizard using Cazara’s shoulders to steady her aim. Her gun blasts and the wizard drops. Blake steps around Cazara to make sure he’s down and spits on his corpse.

“Sorry about the ear ringing,” Blake says to Cazara with a wry grin. “You were saying something about invisible lizards..?”

She crouches in the shadows cast by the beacon, scanning the area for… well, something invisible.
Dec 16, 2011

Me and Random:
Move to R8

Gloaming Cut on Wizard: 1d20+1+10>=15: Success (18)
Dmg: 3d6+1: 18

Shift to T8 – Stealth for hidden: 1d20+10: 23

Dec 16, 2011

Kat:
Cazara nods and listens, but the ringing in her ears is too loud. That, or the thing has vanished.
Dec 16, 2011

Kat:
Minor: Perception +8 to find the thing.
Minor: Pull a potion of cure light wounds out.
Standard: Ready a charge for if it appears again.

Dec 16, 2011

Scott:
The lizard spits in Blake’s face, then scuttles away, putting it far enough away for Cazara to charge.
Dec 16, 2011

Scott and Random:
Standard: Poison at Blake
1d20+6+2>=16: Failure (12)
Shift to V7

Dec 16, 2011

Kat:
Cazara charges.

“Stay put, you little fucker,” she says, getting her claws in the thing’s skin.
Dec 16, 2011

Kat and Random:
Charge to Lizard
1d20+5+1>=15: Success (20)
For 1d8+1: 4 damage.

Dec 17, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al runs up the steps, round and round.
Dec 17, 2011

Eric:
Double move run to R7
Minor: Draw Halberd

Dec 17, 2011

Me:
Blake empties her other gun into the drake and looks satisfied as it collapses to the floor. She sighs as she stoops painfully to cut the throat of the wizard – just to make sure.
Dec 17, 2011

Me and Random:
Gloaming Cut on Drake: 1d20+10+1>=15: Success (23)

DMG: 3d6+2d8+1: 22

Assuming-OOI-ish-Execution (or we can retcon it out)

Dec 17, 2011

Scott:
With the last enemy fallen, there is time to take stock of the situation. The sea gate is open. The RIsuri fleet is alerted and on their way. With their superior vision, Cazara and Malkie can see the fleet approaching in the darkness. It shouldn’t be long before they arrive. Maybe fifteen minutes.

The fortress is mustering a counter-attack to re-take the lighthouse and close the gate before the fleet arrives. Looking toward the keep, Cazara is able to pick out three distinct groups approaching:

- From the nearest watchtower along the wall, a patrol of about a dozen soldiers is moving out. They will be here in about five minutes.

- At the nearest harbor gate, a group of about two dozen soldiers is assembling. It will probably take them about ten minutes to arrive.

- At the keep, another force of about two dozen is being mustered. They should arrive in about fifteen minutes or so.
Dec 17, 2011

Scott:
Short rest if you want it. The choice is pretty obvious for everyone except Durakh-al, who has an “until end of encounter” power going on. Durakh-al may choose to not rest in order to have that bonus carry over to the next wave of troops.

In either case, you have all earned a fresh action point. Also, in either case, defenses may be prepared while “resting,” if you wish to fortify your position.
Dec 17, 2011

Scott:
Available fortification assets:

- benches/shelves on the second lighthouse floor
- a large quantity of fuel oil in the beacon
- Barrels and whatnot at the top of the loading ramp.
Dec 17, 2011

Eric:
lol – why would Durakh-al rest? He’ll start blockading the door while everyone else chillaxes.
Dec 17, 2011

Kat:
Cazara is definitely resting. She’s got some poison to wash off, and wounds to lick. :/
Dec 17, 2011

Me:
Blake rests. I assume we are barricading ourselves in the control room, yes..? What are the damage rules for a 40 foot drop into water incidentally..?
Dec 17, 2011

Scott:
there are none, so it is inferred that one takes full damage.
Dec 17, 2011

Me:
Bummer.
Dec 17, 2011

Kat:
Seems like the regular acrobatics check could be altered to say that you dive less harmfully or something?
Dec 17, 2011

Scott:
I was going to suggest something like that.
Dec 17, 2011

Scott:
I’m going to go with half damage to fall into water (as long as it’s at least half as deep as your fall; if it’s not, you will hit bottom and take full damage).

Acrobatics can be used as normal to reduce damage.
Dec 17, 2011

Eric:
makes sense – at a certain height water should just do full damage, but not at 40 feet
Dec 17, 2011

Kat:
And until we’re epic level or something, that difference shouldn’t matter – half damage would prolly still kill us stone dead. _
Dec 18, 2011

Eric:
I am epic ;P

Dec 18, 2011

Scott:
Give me a summary of your defensive preparations, and I will prepare the enemy assault.
Dec 19, 2011

Me:
Since the rest of us are resting this is pretty much all what D does, yes..?
Dec 19, 2011

Kat:
I assume that Blake can bark orders at him. :P
Dec 19, 2011

Scott:
right now, I’ve got Durakh blockading “the” door and Blake assuming “we are barricading ourselves in the control room,” so I’m mostly looking for clarification.
Dec 19, 2011

Erin:
Malkie suggests that Drukh-al bring down the fuel oil to slick the ramp. She’d do it herself, but the fuel barrels are bigger than she is.
Dec 19, 2011

Me:
So I recommend barricading both doors, I like Erin’s suggestion of oil on the stairs, but was thinking maybe setting fire to the wood infrastructure of the lighthouse might be nifty… it’s above us and we’re outside, I think..?
Dec 19, 2011

Scott:
The “control room” is a one-story attachment to the lighthouse building. sort of like the garage. So if you barricade yourselves in there and light the building on fire… well, it could be interesting. :)
Dec 19, 2011

Me:
I like interesting… anyone else..? :)
Dec 19, 2011

Erin:
Malkie is generally opposed to fire, like, on top of her.
Dec 19, 2011

Erin:
Erin is generally opposed to finishing her thought before getting distracted by
Dec 19, 2011

Me:
I see…..

Dec 19, 2011

Me:
I see….
Dec 19, 2011

Eric:
Durakh-al thinks it would be hilarious for Blake to barricade herself in the wooden part and light it on fire… wouldn’t really be much of a surprise, however.

At any rate, I say we deny them the goddamn building, then have fallback points if they get in – I don’t think it’s a good idea to grant entry or control of the lower floors, at least without any resistance.

So, as much as possible, we might want to have staging areas for multiple ambushes – a flexible defense. Defending only the top gives us no tactical options but a last stand. I’d rather make a last stand after making other stands first.

The doors are obvious choke points, as are the stairwells: we need to block one of the latter and be set up to fuck up the other stairwell after we retreat up it (oil certainly comes to mind here; maybe set some barrels up at the top of stairs).

Anyway – a flexible defense that buys lots of time: make them gain the ground, then fall back – Durakh-al will be happy to be the last one up any stairwell, especially with three strikers waiting to hack up whoever follows him up.
Dec 20, 2011

Me:
Heavy on the wishes and light on the details, brah.
Dec 20, 2011

Me:
Also, did Malkie actually succeed in destroying the controls..? I got the impression that she didn’t entirely – but if she did we don’t really need to hang out in the control room, I s’pose.
Dec 20, 2011

Erin:
I’d guess that I just made a Thievery skill challenge for any soldiers who want to operate the controls.
Dec 20, 2011

Scott:
indeed

Dec 20, 2011

Me:
Yeah, that’s what I thought – we need to hold the control room for the fleet which makes retreat up the tower unlikely. Of course Blake cares more about surviving than completing the mission, but she cares enough about the mission to at least take a shot at it.

Dec 20, 2011

Scott:
Wandering further into OOC territory, the adventure offers two (2) options for holding the lighthouse:

1) three waves of combat
2) one long, three-part skill challenge (which sort of plays out like a board game, using the lighthouse map and allowing for simplified combat).

Which seems more fun for y’all?
Dec 20, 2011

Me:
I don’t have a preference due to not really understanding option 2 fully. So whichever!
Dec 20, 2011

Erin:
Unless the board game idea is really cool and you’re itching to try it,
Dec 20, 2011

Scott:
both seem like a lot of fun to me.
Dec 20, 2011

Me:
I’m still good with either. :)
I’m partial to combat right now. I’ve had a blast doing the skill-challengey stuff, but I’d like to use my cool striker powers now.
Dec 20, 2011

Kat:
To me, it depends on the sorts of skills we’d need for the skill challenge. We’re such a physical party, that a skill challenge that needs, say, Arcana, is pretty much not something we can do. :/
Dec 20, 2011

Scott:
Hold the Lighthouse (Level 1 Skill Challenge).

You can see enemy forces gathering in the distance. You have limited
time to prepare yourself, but a little ingenuity might negate the need for
a fight.

Key Skills: Arcana, Athletics, Bluff, Diplomacy, Endurance, Intimidate,
Stealth, Thievery

Difficulty: Unless otherwise noted, all skill checks are DC 18.
In this encounter, the PCs want to ensure the sea gate remains open so
their allies can storm the fort. They are contested by enemy forces trying
to reach the controls for the sea gate and close it. The enemy forces come in waves, and the PCs have time before each wave to prepare defenses.

The PCs can lay traps, set up barricades, actively attack, or otherwise
fend off the enemies’ advance.
Dec 20, 2011

Kat:
Okay, aside from arcana, I think we’ve got all these skills. Hm.
Dec 20, 2011

Scott:
or:

For All the Wargamers Out There.

If you think your players would get a kick out of a “defend the base”
combat, you can use stats from the previous encounter to create waves
of enemies. The PCs have a few rounds to set up barricades and possibly even traps. Use the skill challenge timeline and alert level to determine how much lead time the party has.
Dec 20, 2011

Erin:
Yeah, still favoring combat :)
Dec 21, 2011

Eric:
Favoring combat as being memorable and epic.
Dec 21, 2011

Scott:
I’ll get it ready :)
Dec 21, 2011

Me:
Favoring combat as being TPK memorable and epic. FTFY. :)
Dec 22, 2011

Scott:
I’m gonna do a bit of a mash-up, basically just porting over the barricade rules form the skill challenge, and then doing everything else as a combat.
Dec 22, 2011

Me:
+1
Dec 23, 2011

Eric:
Right on

Comments

skotothalamos

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.